Buyers’ Guide to the 11 Best Rain Shower Heads [2020 Reviews]
Table of Contents
- Buyers’ Guide to the 11 Best Rain Shower Heads [2020 Reviews]
- Quick Comparison Table
- Rain Shower Head Reviews
- #1: Hansgrohe 27474001 (Editor’s Choice)
- #2: SR SUN RISE Luxury Square Ultra-Thin
- #3: Pulse Showerspas’ Rain Head with Hand Shower
- #4: Moen S6320 Velocity
- #5: Hansgrohe 26465001 Croma 220
- #6: Hotel Spa 10 Inch Rainfall [Square]
- #7: Delta RP52382 Touch-Clean
- #8: ALFI RAIN16R
- #9: Grohe Rainshower 210
- #10: AKDY AZ-6021
- #11: SparkPod High-Pressure Rain
- Quick Buying Guide:
- Summing Up
Did you know, in 2020, there are over 3,000 different rain shower heads models available on the web?
Avoid getting stuck with dud, and go with one of our top 11 best rain shower heads of the year.
After reading our rainfall shower head reviews, you’ll find out which type of rain shower head is right for you.
Now let’s dive straight in by starting with a quick comparison table to aid your search in finding the best rainfall shower head.
Quick Comparison Table
#3 Pulse Showerspas' Rain Shower Head with Hand Shower
An 8 inch rain shower head, and a 5 function handshower, combine to create a stunningly simple rain shower system, that can easily retrofit your existing shower, without a remodel.
Rain Shower Head Reviews
Here you’ll find our top-rated rain shower head products reviewed for 2020.
#1: Hansgrohe 27474001
To start our countdown, the #1 best rain shower head of 2020 is the ….. (drum roll please), Hansgrohe 27474001 Rain Shower Head.
After months of research, and hand-testing the top-rated rain heads on the market, this Hansgrohe model has distinguished itself from the pack.
What sets it apart the most from other quality rain heads is the Hansgrohe’s “Raindance Downpour AIR” Technology. This rare technology works by infusing water droplets with air, resulting in a downpour that feels heavier, and softer on your skin.
This technology is amplified by the Hansgrohe’s large 9.375-inch spray face, and 180 silicon nozzles, that combine to create a soothing blanket-like coverage.
- Rair Air Spray mode – results in droplets that are heavier, and feel softer on your skin
- Comes in 2 beautiful finishes – polished chrome & brushed nickel
- Fully metal plated design – is ultra-durable, and lasts for years without tarnishing
- Stays clean easily – anti-calification, removes limescale with a swipe of a finger
- Fully metal plated designs = more durable, but more expensive
At #2 on our list of best rain shower heads of 2020 is the square-headed SR SUN RISE Luxury Ultra-Thin.
If you’re looking for an extra-large rain head that provides a ton of coverage, but also won’t break the bank, this SR SUN RISE model is a fantastic option.
It comes in 10-inch and 12-inch sizes, yet combined with its ultra-thin design, costs are kept at a fraction of similar sized models.
Also, even though costs are kept low with the SR SUN RISE Ultra-Thin, its durability is a strength. Its made with 304 stainless steel that has been plated in 10 layers of chrome, ensuring corrosion resistance.
Combine this SR SUN RISE model with one of the best frameless shower doors for a gorgeous modern look.
- Easy wall-mount installation without tools
- Great full-body coverage – due to 10″ & 12″ options
- “Air Energy” Technology works well with low water pressure
- Stays clean – silicon nozzles prevent limescale, swipe clean with a finger
- 5 yr. warranty
- 10″ & 12″ sizes may require a new shower arm, depending on how your shower’s set up
At #3 on our list, is the best rain shower head combo of 2020 the Pulse Showerspas’ with a Hand Shower.
This model beautifully combines the wonderful feeling of an 8″ overhead rain spray face, with the functionality of its hand shower.
It’s hand shower definitely comes in handy (sorry for the pun) with things like cleaning your shower, washing your pets, or lasering in on hard-to-reach focus areas.
Also, it’s important to point out the Pulse Showerspas’ superior high-arching shower arm. This high-angled shower arm results in less crouching for taller individuals, and a more soothing downpour feel.
For more great products like this, check out the top shower faucet systems that 2020 has to offer.
- Surface-mounted & pre-plumbed – easily retrofit your current shower without a remodel
- 5-mode hand shower adds functionality
- Ability to use overhead shower & hand shower, together or separately
- Simply replaces your existing shower / shower arm
- Cheaper similar looking models exist, yet they sacrafice quality
At #4 on our list of the top rain heads of 2020 is the Moen S6320 Velocity Rainshower.
Rare among its kind, the Moen S6320 comes with two relaxing spray settings “rain shower,” and “concentrated rinse,” for those looking to switch it up every once in a while.
This model also comes with Immersion Technology, which supplies water with 3x more spray power, and in our experience, its a difference you can definitely feel.
Also, the Moen S6320 Velocity is backed by a Lifetime Limited Warranty, so its quality is guaranteed.
- Comes with 2 easy-to-use spray settings – just flip a lever
- Immersion Technology – results in 3x more spray power
- Lifetime Limited Warranty against drips, leaks, and finish defects
- Full metal design = more expensive
At #5 on our list of the best rain showerheads of the year is the sleek Hansgrohe Croma 220.
If you’re looking for a durable modern rain shower that provides excellent coverage, the Hansgrohe Croma 220 is a prime option.
Much like our #1 rated rain head of the year, but at a fraction of the cost, the Croma 220 comes with Hansgrohe’s famous “Rain AIR” Technology. For a quick refresher, it simply infuses water droplets with air for a more relaxing shower.
Also, with the Croma 220, you’ll have the luxury of sleeping easy at night knowing it has a Lifetime Limited Warranty backed by one of the industry’s best, the one and only, Hansgrohe.
Want more highly-reviewed products like this one, check out our #1-rated steam shower generator and buyers’ guide.
- Comes in 2 long-lasting modern finishes – brushed nickel & polished chrome
- Hansgrohe’s famous “Rain AIR” spray mode
- Big 8.6″ spray face is coated with 107 swipe-clean silicon nozzles
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- Quality manufacturer = higher cost when similar models exist
At #6 on our list of the top rainfall shower heads is the Hotel Spa 10″ Rainfall Shower Head.
If you’re looking for a quality cheap rainfall showerhead that just gets the job done, this is our top choice.
Made with 304 stainless steel, and comes with a solid brass adjustable arm, this Hotel Spa model is built to last for years without tarnishing. In addition, its durable materials are backed by Hotel Spa’s Lifetime Limited Warranty.
If 10″ is too big for your shower currently, this Hotel Spa model comes in an 8″ size as well, at an excellent value, too.
Pairing this affordable Hotel Spa rain shower, with a budget-friendly shower pan is an easy way to create a stylish modern bathroom quickly and efficiently.
- 100 silicon nozzles – are easy to clean, and stay clean
- Made with anti-corrosion materials – 304 stainless steel & solid brass
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- Shower arm is a little thin – it’d be better with a thicker construction
The #7 best rain shower head of 2020 is the Delta RP52382 Touch-Clean.
With its wide 8 3/4″ spray face, the Delta Touch-Clean is versatile and can be installed in your wall, or in your ceiling.
Either way, with its 2.5 GPM water flow rate you can expect to enjoy a powerful and drenching soak, as this rain head packs a punch, in terms of sheer power.
Unlike most of the other rainfall shower heads on this list, this Delta Touch-Clean model spouts out the water, instead of letting it “fall out gently.” This is great for those who want a more standard feeling shower, instead of a purely “rain” shower features.
If you want more great products like this, check out our shower panel system reviews and give your shower a modern update for cheap.
- Versatile installation – wall or ceiliing mountable
- 2.5 GPM water flow rate provides a high pressure experience
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- “Touch-Clean” spray holes are less effective than silicon nozzles
#8: ALFI RAIN16R
At #8 on our list of the top rain showerheads of 2020 is the ALFI RAIN16R Overhead Rain Shower.
This ALFI brand RAIN16R is massive when it comes to head size. It comes in at a full 16 inches to provide an absolutely immersive shower experience.
When you step under this shower head’s impressive surface area, you can’t help but feel like you’re underneath a waterfall enjoying the nice flowing water. Its wide surface area is covered with 234 tapered nozzles that are super easy to clean given its flat design.
The ALFI brand RAIN16R features 100% solid stainless steel and has a mirrored reflective sheen to it. If you’re looking for a rainfall shower head that has excellent coverage, an ultra-thin head, and made durable materials, the ALFI RAIN16R is a winner in our books.
- Made with corrosion-resistant stainless steel
- 16″ spray face coated with 234 silicon nozzles – create the best “coverage” rainfall shower of 2020
- Clear silicon nozzles stay clean, and comes with 5 replacement nozzles
- Requires a large shower room
- Ceiling-mount only
At #9 on our 2020 list of the best rainfall shower heads, is the stylish Grohe Rainshower 210.
If you’re having trouble matching your current bathroom’s tile, trim, or various finishes, the Grohe Rainshower 210 solves that with its 8 unique finish-matching styles.
A more expensive rainshower on the list, but for good reason. Its materials are made with thick solid metal, so they’re built for the long haul, and its quality is backed by Grohe’s Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- Comes in 4 beautiful finishes – Brushed Nickel, Polished Nickel, Starlight Chrome, and Oil Rubbed Bronze
- Comes in 2 room-matching styles – “Rustic” (for traditional bathrooms) & “Comsopolitan” (for modern bathrooms)
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- 8″ spray face is smaller than other higher-rated rainfall showers on the list
#10: AKDY AZ-6021
At #10 on our list of the best rainfall shower heads of 2020 is the AKDY AZ-6021 Rain Shower Head.
If you’re looking for a cost-effective rain showerhead that saves you money on your water bill, the AKDY AZ-6021 is an excellent option.
With a gentle water flow rate of 1.8 GPM, you can save water in your shower when compared to a standard showerhead (just like the best low flow shower heads), while also saving money on your energy bill (heating less water).
Its 100 silicon nozzles worked much better than our team had anticipated, and didn’t get clogged after months of testing. The nozzles also proved very easy to clean, as do most rainfall shower heads with silicon spray holes.
- Lightweight construction = easy to install
- 100 silicon nozzles are easy to clean, and work surpsingly well
- 1.8 GPM flow rate saves water, and money spent on your energy bill
- Extremely inexpensive
- Feels like a “very soft rain,” maybe too soft for our liking
The #11 best rainfall showerhead of 2020 is the small but mighty SparkPod High-Pressure Rain Shower.
With 90 self-cleaning nozzles that actively prevent limescale, combined with a 2.5 GPM flow rate, the SparkPod creates an efficient and powerful shower, that’s great for its cost.
The 6″ spray face is a bit too small for our tastes, but nonetheless, its features work quite well for the size.
For more high-quality products for your shower, check out our top-rated hand held shower heads available this year.
- 90 silicon nozzles are self-cleansing
- Has a removeable water restrictor
- Includes tefflon tape and an additional water filter
- Only has a 1 yr warranty
Quick Buying Guide:
To make it more clear for those who are looking for a rain shower head, but don’t know exactly how they work, we’ve created this quick buying guide.
Rain shower heads, as the name suggest, mimic the waterfall of rain. The spray is usually quite smooth and soothing when compared to more traditional shower heads, that feature intense, and more direct impact sprays.
With the best top-rated rainfall showerheads, you can expect wonderful feeling heavy droplets, sometimes infused with air, to give a real waterfall like feel.
Another thing to note, if you have weak water pressure in your home, going with a rain shower head is an excellent way to mitigate that problem, without calling a plumber.
Rain shower heads feature the falling of water and don’t require the huge amount of pressure that traditional shower heads need, in order to be effective.
If you’ve never used a rainfall shower head before, they’re definitely worth a try. They’re commonly found in 5-star hotels, and most modern homes, giving them an extra feel of luxury.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do rain shower heads have good pressure?
Rain shower heads have good pressure in most cases, as most models come with a 2.0 GPM, or 2.5 GPM flow rate.
However, it’s important to remember that their design is intended to mimic “rainfall,” or the falling of water, so if you’re looking for sheer power or pulsing options, non-rain shower heads may provide more of what you’re looking for. (2)
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a more soothing experience, in the form of water infused droplets that are both heavy and soft, premium rain shower heads are the way to go.
Do rain shower heads use more water?
Rain shower heads usually do not use more water than a standard showerhead, especially when compared to the past.
Before 1992, many models consumed more than 5.5 GPM.
Today, most high-efficiency rain shower heads release less than 2.5 GPM, with WaterSense labeled models (approved by the EPA) to use no more than 2.0 GPM. (3)
How much is a rain shower head?
On average, a new rain shower head is going to cost you anywhere from $20 – $250+.
Cheaper rain shower heads are usually made with lightweight plastic and feature smaller faces. High-end rain shower heads are made with better materials like stainless steel, and polished chrome, and feature extra-large faces that provide more coverage.
How much does it cost to install a rain shower head?
On average, to install a rain shower head it is going to cost around $30 – $100+, depending on how your shower is currently configurated.
A typical rain shower installation includes:
- The removal of the existing shower head
- Installation of the supplied shower head
- Mounting and sealing of new shower head onto arm
- Unit test and clean up
To learn more about how to install rain shower heads, check out this blog post.
3 Main Benefits of Rain Shower Heads
Rain shower heads have a wide range of benefits, but here are the main ones that customers can expect to enjoy:
- They work well in homes with weak water pressure
- due to their falling-water style spray
- They usually feature easy-to-clean silicone nozzles
- saves you precious time, while keeping your shower in tip-top shape at all times
- They just look GREAT
- if your bathroom is looking old & dull, adding a rain shower head is an easy way to give your bathroom a much-needed update
What to Look For when buying a Rain Shower Head
There are 3 main things you should look for when selecting the best rain shower head:
- Head size
- the bigger the better, your main goal should be getting amazing coverage, first and foremost
- Amount of spray nozzles
- the more the merrier to get a true waterfall-like feel
- buy what’s right for YOU, we’ve outlined a TON of great options (from premium – to budget models), so skip paying for features you won’t need/use
You’ve successfully completed your research on the best rain shower head products of the year.
After reading our rain shower head reviews, you’ll have all the tools you need, to pick the best rain showerhead for your budget.
With its superior performance, durability, and price-level, you won’t be disappointed!
If you’ve looked through our top rain shower heads list and haven’t quite found the right shower head for your bathroom in mind, take a look at our top shower heads page where we ranked 15 of the highest reviewed models of 2020.
Still looking for ways to take your shower to the next level?
Maybe, you want to learn more about rain shower head pros and cons, or something else.
Click our logo below and find out how to create better showers today!