Our EASY Step-By-Step Guide on How To Install a Freestanding Tub
These statistics confirm what you probably already know if you’re reading this page, and that is that freestanding tubs are growing in popularity.
Adding one of the best freestanding bathtubs to your bathroom is an excellent way to add value, beauty, and increase relaxation in the room you use every day.
If you have questions on installing your own, you’re not alone.
Here we’ll show you what tools you’ll need, and we’ll walk you through step-by-step so you can successfully install your tub.
What You’ll Need
- Your new freestanding tub
- Plumber’s putty
- Clear silicone
Before You Start
- Using your level – make sure your floor is even
- Install your tub’s waste-overflow fitting per manufacturer’s instructions
- Check if your new freestanding tub can install a handgrip – for added safety
- Check how to carry your freestanding tub – some models require you to carry them upside down only, and to not lift by its side panels
- Clean your tub thoroughly
- Clean your floor thoroughly
Installing a Freestanding Tub in 8 EASY Steps (Learn How In The Time It Takes To Tie Your Shoe)
- Place your new freestanding tub exactly where you want it – then mark its position with your pencil
- Remove the corrugated extender that comes with your tub
- If you don’t … you won’t be able to complete your installation
- Make sure your waste pipe/p trap connection can connect to your drain outlet (located on the bottom of your tub)
- Following your manufacturer’s instructions either put your tub on its side (on your towel to protect your floor & tub) OR using two 4×4 wooden beams raise your tub directly above your installation spot
- Connect your water outlet pipe using your plumber’s putty, and silicone (per manufacturer’s instructions – more on this later)
- Now your new freestanding tub is prepped for install
- Check if your tub has adjustable feet – screw until secured on your floor
- Secure your tub to your floor using your caulk – either apply underneath it’s 4 adjustable feet, OR a bead around the bottom of your tub
- Once caulked, carefully put your tub exactly where you want it (remove support boards if used)
- Remove any remaining packaging – and you’re done!
Plumbing / Drain Connection
- Align your drain and your expansion joint
- Put a dot of silicone between your drain and expansion joint
- Connect your drain to your expansion joint, then tighten its collar
- Put plumber’s putty on your washer, then slide it over the bottom of your expansion joint
- Tighten your washer and nut, making sure to form a watertight seal
- Now that your drain is connected successfully … you’ll need to test your tub before use
- To test, wait 24 hours, then carefully turn on your water and check if there are any leaks
How To Install a Freestanding Tub Faucet
To install your freestanding tub filler, check out this short video from Pfister, a leading manufacturer in the bathroom industry.
Summing It Up: What To Do Now
There you have it.
In the time it takes to brew a cup of coffee, you’ve found out exactly how to install a freestanding tub, and even it’s tub filler.
In a study by Houzz, referenced by Forbes analyzing bathroom trends, nearly 2 in 5 homeowners opted to upgrade their bathtub during a master bathroom renovation, so that means by completing this page you’ve just gained an incredibly valuable, in-demand skill that you can apply today. (2)
In the past, installing your very own freestanding tub was an intimidating task, that required years of experience, and most times, the help of professionals.
These days, with the help of the internet and it’s coalition of industry experts, the process can be broken down into digestible steps and how-to videos so everyone can understand.
Now that you possess the knowledge to successfully install your own freestanding bath, all that’s left is to choose a model that’s best for you.
Then, once you find the perfect tub for you, check out our easy bath bomb recipe to take your bath to the next level!
Are you still looking to build the bathroom you deserve?
Here at showersly.com, we make dream bathrooms come true for proud homeowners.
Dream bathrooms start and end with quality products you can trust, like our top-rated cast-iron bathtubs of the year, and more.
Click our logo below to get started!